Sunday, April 13, 2014

Escape Into Nature -- a Triptych

See The Nature

Hear The Nature

Part of Nature?


This triptych represents the questions I have about my life and how much I can truly say I live within nature.  In the first video, I'm looking at "nature" (two squirrels running in the top of an oak tree).  This is the same scene I've seen dozens of times walking in woods, and it brings with it a sense of escape, and a feeling of wild freedom outside of the reaches of society.  The second video is the same, but relies on sounds - as it scans the treetops, it focuses on the sounds of nature (specifically the unique bird calls).  These noises also have the effect of making me feel as though I'm free of culture and society.  But the third video brings it into perspective.  As it tracks a squirrels path across a street, it betrays that all three videos were taken on the same block (my block) in residential Saint Paul.  So it begs the question I ask myself on occasion, how close am I really to nature?  And, at the same time, when it feels so easy to escape into nature even on my own street corner, how close is my relationship with society?

1 comment:

  1. As usual, you find a coherent, thoughtful structure for this new kind of assignment, and it serves you well. You really think through a task before you begin, and while you noted ways you might have visually shown the fact that all three were shot from one site, the idea is effective. As for the two squirrels in the tree, well, they don't quite come through. Your blog could also go a bit farther reflecting on the questions you open with.

    ReplyDelete